History of ALGWA
The Australian Local Government Women's Association (ALGWA) was founded in 1951 during the Jubilee Year of the Commonwealth of Australia. ALGWA was formed as a non party political organisation to support women's participation in Local Government.
A National Board was elected following the first National Convention which was held in Canberra in October 1966.
Councillor Violet Lambert of Fern Tree Gully Shire, Victoria called the inaugural meeting and a provisional committee was elected, consisting of local government members from South Australia, New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland.
The First branch of the ALGWA was opened in Sydney in 1952. A constitution any by-laws were formally adopted at the 2nd National Conference held in Adelaide in August 1978.
All branches of the ALGWA are autonomous, however, their aims and objectives are based on those of the National Association. Branches hold conferences, seminars and special meetings to advertise their work and educate women in Local Government. National Conferences are held biennially.